Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ HBV+, tenofovir+interferon?
Jun 17, 2007

Male, 43 years old, 100 Kg, 1.7 m, hiv+ since 1986, HIV viral load<50, CD4 300. Hepatitis B+ with HBV viral load 490'000,000. Lypodistrophy, bull hump, diabetes (124), triglycerides (250), hepatic enzymes lightly high, My last HAART was Lamivudine, Kaletra, Stavudine (after changed for Abacavir) by 6 years. My doctor want to change due to side effects and treat me now with Tenofovir, Emtricitabina, Ritonavir, Atazanavir for HIV; lamivudine (Ive been taking it for 7 years) and Pegasys (Interferon 2a)(48 weeks, 1 dose per week); besides that, bezafibrate, glibenclamide, pentoxyfilline, allupurinol. Also dorzolamide and latanaprost for glaucoma. Is this treatment ok? Please some suggestions about taking pills schedule? I feel exhaust (fatigue), articulations pain, Ive not been able to lose weight, I have apnea too (using CPAP), short term memory lost. Thanks a lot doctor.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Several comments: 1. I agree with your physician that pegylated interferon is worth a try, although there is no published data in coinfection. It appears that you will also be getting combination therapy for hepatitis B - tenofovir is a very active drug. 2. The emtricitabine will probably not add anything for hepatitis B control because you have probably become resistant to its cousin - lamivudine. However, your physician may be prescribing that to treat your HIV. 3. I think the switch to an atazanavir combination is a good idea to lessen your risk of other metabolic problems that may contribute to NASH (non-alcoholic liver disease) such as high triglycerides.

Previous
NASH & Hep c
Next
hep c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.