Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I tell parents?
Jun 17, 2007

I was told by the doctor that I had Hep B sometime in my past and have cleared and am immune to the infection now. He said I also should tell my mother to get checked out as it could have passed down at birth. My mother is a real worry freak and I don't want to say anything unless I really have to. As far as I know she is in great health. I'm 26 and she is 55. Is it likely that she would have had some complications by now if she has the infection. Is it essential that I tell her?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think it depends on a few things: 1. Do you have obvious risk factors for hepatitis B? If not, then you probably should discuss. 2. What is your hepatitis B result? If it is hepatitis B core and hepatitis surface antibody positive, then I am confident you were exposed and cleared. If you are simply surface antibody positive, may you got the vaccine somewhere along the line. If you just have core antibody positive results, that may be a false positive test (called "isolated hepB core").

Previous
POSITIVE HEPATITIS C GENOTYPE 2B
Next
AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.