Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B positive?
Jun 17, 2007

I recently completed the VX-950 trial for hep c. I did get the new drug and was on standard treatment for 6 months along with the VX-950 for the first 12 weeks. I cleared the virus in less rhan 8 days, and am still clear at 6 months later. A month ago I went to my primary and told her I had no immunity to the hep b virus after my boosters that showed up in the trial screenings. Last month she ran a hep panel and it showed I was positive for the hep b virus. HEP B CORE IGM-negative. HEP BS AG-positive. How is this possible, I was negative for the B virus all the way from detection to pre-screening, a nine month period. I had no sex for the last year and a half to present. I'm confused. Could it be a false positive?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes it could be a false positive. I would be highly suspicious of this result since you were just recently negative several times so if you just got infected, you hepatitis B core IgM would probably be positive.

All HBsAg tests are supposed to have confirmatory testing to be certain that the test is truly positive. I myself had a patient with a similar circumstance of no risk who was told she had a positive HBsAg test; however, there was no confirmatory testing and it turned out to be a false positive test.

I would have your physician talk to the laboratory supervisor and further explore whether the appropriate confirmatory testing were done; if so, was the test a borderline positive? If that is the case, repeat testing, with a full hepatitis B panel, may help. Hepatitis B serologies are not straightforward, by any means, and I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Previous
PLEASE PLEASE Answer. So worried
Next
Hepatitis B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.