Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SHOULD I BE RETESTED FOR HEP C?
May 19, 2007

Dear Dr. Mc Govern,

Please let me apologize for the long email. I do not know who else to ask about my condition. I will try to be as brief as possible. My questions are: Should I be tested for Hep C again?. Should I be tested with a different method?.

For the last 2 years I have had the following symptoms:

SYMPTOMS Flu-like symptoms of fatigue and muscle pain (always) Slight sore throat (always) Low-grade fever and night sweats (occasionally at the beginning of the syndrome) Itching /all over my body (at the beginning of the symptoms) Dizziness (occasionally) Nausea (occasionally) Stiff or aching joints .in one wrist and one ankle(recently) Rash -in my abdomen (always though much better for the last few months) Acne it does not go away with treatment (always)

LABS Labs have been always normal except for: Slightly elevated ALT (40-80) (for the last year) Slightly microcytic anemia (always) Elevated immunoglobulin E (4-6 times the upper limit) (a year ago) A recent colonoscopy performed a month ago shows I have microscopic lymphocytic colitis.

RISKS I have had two possible exposures to Hepatitis C I know about. One in 2002 (tattooing) and another one in 2004 (unprotected sex with a high risk individual).

TESTS I have been tested for Hep C in 2005 and in 2006 (one and two years after the last possible exposure). Both results were negative. I have been tested also for several other diseases including Hep B (three times) and HIV (several times). All results were negative.

QUESTIONS Should I trust the results of my tests in spite of the continuing symptoms? Should I be tested for Hep C again? Should I be tested with a different method? I have read about false negative cases and a case of seroconversion al least three years after infection. I have also read about differences in the sensitivity and specificity of the tests depending on Hep C genotypes. But I do not know whether to trust this information or not. I am not a doctor.

Thanks a lot for your answer,

Worried

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think you rest and be reassured that you do not have HCV.

Previous
work incident
Next
about vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.