Hep B

I was just told that I have hep b. After reading up on it I have realized that there is much more I need to know from my results. I have not had a chance to talk to my provider, only the nurse over the phone. She was very vague and the only thing I really got from her was that my hep panels came back positive for hep b. I have already had an ultra sound I am pretty sure that it came back clear. I have now been referred out to a gastrointestinal specialist...what could this mean...it this a bad sign? Are there any good questions that I should be asking my provider or nurse and the GI specialist? Also, infecting someone else is my biggest concern. How easily is hep b transmitted. I read that its 100 times more than HIV but that doesn't tell me anything. I have read that your body can get rid of the hep b virus, is this true? If so does that mean that you are not infectious to others than? Please help. Thank you in advance.

I would recommend going to the cdc.gov website where you can get helpful information on hepatitis B. I know this is a stressful time, but you could have inactive disease versus active disease; sometimes the tests are false positive. So in other words, you need to wait to see the physician for appropriate evaluation. It is hard to discuss risk of transmission if we don't know if you even have virus circulating in your bloodstream. Your evaluation will start with careful and thorough testing to see if you even have active infection, before any other steps can be taken.

hep c transmission
hepatitis A & B shots for travel