Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To Stop or to Switch Antivirals
May 19, 2007

Adefovir gradually lowered my HBV DNA and improved my hepatic function panel. I would have stayed on the drug indefinitely but since my husband and I would like to get pregnant, I asked my gastroenterologist if I could stop taking Adefovir and monitor my numbers, and then get back to antivirals after delivery. Since my DNA count is in the undetectable range, I was quite confident on this option. But she wouldn't recommend to stop taking Adefovir but instead referred me to a hepatologist. The hepatologist recommended to take Telbivudine(Tyzeka) because it is a category B drug and has lesser risk in pregnancy. He suggested overlapping the two drugs for 1 week before fully switching to Telbivudine, and waiting for a month or two before conceiving. I am already 36 years old and this will be my first pregnancy. I hope you can give me your thoughts before I make any decision. These are my lab results:

before Adefovir (Hepsera) 03-2004: AST 54 ALT 58 Hep Be Ag: REACTIVE NGI HBV Endpoint Dilution: 430,000,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 06-2004 AST 80 ALT 109 NGI HBV Endpoint Dilution: 590,000,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 10-2004 AST 103 ALT 146 NGI HBV Superquant: 13,000,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 01-2005 AST 78 ALT 113 NGI HBV Superquant: 480,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 03-2005 AST 47 ALT 51 NGI HBV Superquant: 338,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 05-2005 AST 41 ALT 47 NGI HBV Superquant: 50,400 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 09-2005 AST 28 ALT 21 Hep Be Ab: Positive Abnormal Hep Be Ag: Negative NGI HBV Superquant: 1,400 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 12-2005 AST 24 ALT 22 Hep Be Surface Ab: <3.0 NGI HBV Superquant: 2,000 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 03-2006 AST 27 ALT 16 Hep Be Surface Ab: <3.0 NGI HBV Superquant: 200 Copies/ml

> on Adefovir 10-2006 AST 31 ALT 23 NGI HBV Superquant: <100 Copies/ml

on Adefovir 01-2007 AST 32 ALT 17 Hep Be Surface Ab: <3.0 Hep Be Ab: Positive Abnormal Hep Be Ag: Negative NGI HBV Superquant: <100 Copies/ml I have not had any biopsy. My ultrasound results are normal

Response from Dr. McGovern

I completely concur with the advice of your hepatologist.

Previous
Please Help! Husband + for Hep B.
Next
Hiv and Hepatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.