Please Help! Husband + for Hep B.

My husband had these test results. Hep A Ab, IgM- Neg, HBsAg- Pos., Hep B Core Ab, IgM- Neg. We are awaiting results for HBV DNA, HBeAg, and anti-HBe, anti-HD. Dr. says not to worry about the kids and I. He didn't tell me to be tested or take prec. As an RN, I was given the series but was told during my first preg. that they didn't "take". I was tested 5 and 8 years ago during preg. and tested negative. How worried should I be about my status and my husband's future health? He is 32 yrs old and figures he must have gotten it in his teens when he had several sexual partners. For this reason, he has a lot of guilt, shame, and embarrassment- not to mention being scared to death. Do you think we are overreacting? Is there a chance with these results that this is not serious?

First of all, I do not see testing for total HBV core antibody - this will probably be positive if he indeed has hepatitis B infection.

HBV infection can be active or inactive. You do not know that at this point. If he has evidence of HBV DNA present, I would see an expert in hepatitis - either a hepatologist or an infectious disease expert who is knowledgeable about hepatitis B.

If he has evidence of HBV DNA, you should be tested again for hepatitis B and revaccinated. I would consider a double dose of HBV for 3 shots, which has been effective in some nonresponders. Your children may have been vaccinated depending on their ages - speak with your pediatrician.

However, at this point, if you have a history of being checked multiple times and was never infected, this suggests to me that your husband does not have viremia since HBV is easily transmitted sexually.

Is the viral count 50 for hepatis c to low
To Stop or to Switch Antivirals