hep b concern child

My son touched a condom to his lips (thought it was a baloon) at a park. It was completely dry, no residue of any kind, , dusty and appeared to be old. It was grabbed away immediately.The health region where I live is suggesting I give immune globulin/vaccinate (he is almost 5) yet 2 physicians here believe that the risk is almost nil, so to forget about it. Please help. I am a very worried mom!

I also agree that the risk is nil. You can argue either way - don't bother with the vaccine because you would have to argue that the person using it had chronic hepatitis B and that there was infectious virus in the condom and your son ingested the virus and somehow it got into his bloodstream - very very unlikely. The others may argue that your son will get vaccinated later anyway as he grows older.

I wouldn't have recommended vaccination, but these kind of cases are grey areas with no "right" answer. I hope the above is reassuring however.

precore mutant HBV?
hep c contracted from open cut?