Acute/Chronic

Hi Doctor,

The past months I have been ill after stupidly having unprotected casual sex. HIV has been ruled out with a number of tests out so seven months. The doctors are now looking at a possible HCV infection, I get tested this week, this will be eight months after the possible exposure, if the test is positive, would this still be early enough to undergo treatment with successful results? I am a university student and supposed to be moving to Europe in September to finish my degree but am concerned that if I test positive and need treatment, this may be affected. The symptoms I have been experiencing have been quite severe, I read that the majority of patients experience little or no symptoms, if my symptoms were due to HCV, is there any correlation between the severity of symptoms and the outcome of treatment? Thank you in anticipation for any help!

Hepatitis C is uncommonly transmitted through sex so I would doubt that one episode of unprotected intercourse led to hepatitis C infection. I would also check for hepatitis B which is more likely to be tranmitted through sex than hepatitis C. If you are negative for HBV, I would get vaccinated. If you do have hepatitis C, yes early treatment after acquisition is the best route since the cure rates are high. I doubt that this will be your diagnosis though.

my mom
scared