Increased ALT and HIV

Hi Doc,

Bit of a background. Around 7 months back, I had an unsafe exposure with a female. We had deep and long kissing(I have bleeding gums problem) and I performed oral sex on her for few minutes.(No intercourse). After few weeks I started having tempratures, loose motions, weekeness. I noticed that there was a change in my appetite. My appetite increased a lot and I was eating double the amount. Also had long buring/inflamation periods in my easophagus. I got myself tested for HIV after 1 month and it was negative. I got myself re-tested after 3 months+1 week-negative. I got my LFT done after 4.5 months to the exposure and the doctor said I had an increased ALT which he said that I should get re-tested after 1 month(I had no idea at this piont that increased ALT may be HCV). I kept on worrying about HIV and got my self tested again at 7 months mark. and the results were negative. Was so happy to get them. Now from somewhere I learnt that in case of HIV and HCV co-existence, the HIV antibody tests may always show newgative results. I am a worried man again. My worries 1. Looking at the kind of exposure and symptoms (Increased appetite, burning easophagus, increased weight)Am I infected with HCV ? 2. Am I infected with HIV ? 3. Whats the possibility of false HIV results after 7 months if I am also infected with HCV ?

If there are some other tests which I should get done for the confirmation, PLZ PLZ PLZ let me know doc.

Thanks in advance.

regards JJ

You are obviously quite anxious and I would simply get tested for hepatitis C with an HCV antibody and HCV RNA if your blood tests are abnormal. I would also get testing for hepatitis B. If your hepatitis B tests are all negative, you may want to get hepatitis B immunizations to prevent any sexual transmission of hepatitis B. This is much more likely to be transmitted through sex than hepatitis C. However, since your risk was oral sex, I would doubt you had either.

Your liver function tests can also be elevated for other reasons, such as alcohol, any cocaine use, or fatty liver from obesity.

INACTIVE HEPATITIS B
hepatitis c