Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis C query
Apr 15, 2007

Hi Doctor McGovern

I received a needlestick injury some time ago and was tested for Hepatitis C and also HIV, both of which came back as negative. However, during the window period I was quite worried and eventually developed OCD regarding exposure to contaminated blood. I have found that information seems to be the best weapon against this, so I was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I have eczema on my hands and am concerned mainly with contracting Hep C via this route. I am not quite so concerned about HIV as I know that the virus does not live long outside the body and there has to sufficient blood transfer, usually a visible amount. However, my doctor tells me that Hep C can live for several days on surfaces and furthermore such a small amount is required for transfer that it could even be an invisible amount of blood. If this is the case, that such tiny amounts can transfer the virus and that it lives so long, I would imagine that it would be quite easy to transfer tiny amounts from surface to surface in the environment, for example when using doors, handling everyday objects and so on. Clearly though, people are not contracting the disease so easily. Why is this? Is it because most people do not have open eczema on their hands and am I therefore at risk? I would be very grateful if you could help as I am unsure whether I am being irrational and can forget about it or whether I really am at more risk than most people due to the eczema on my hands. Thank you in advance, Adam

Response from Dr. McGovern

You have made a very logical conclusion that is correct. If hepatitis C was this easy to transmit, it would be occurring in most people. And that is simply not the case. Just because the virus may survive on surfaces doesn't mean that this is a means of transmission. Nor has hepatitis C been show to be transmitted primarily to people with eczema.

Previous
hepc and a baby
Next
Hepatitis C

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.