The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need medication?
Apr 15, 2007

Good morning! do I need to take medication? I was diagnosed to have this chronic hepa-b , my HBV-DNA result ( 13,061 IU/ML ; 76,015 COPIES / ML ) , SGPT - ALT 29 U/L , my liver ultrasound is normal . I have consulted to three doctors and one told me to take this drug HEPSERA and the other two told me that I am a healthy carrier and just need to monitor my conditions every 6 months. Do I still have a chance of working in the US if I have this chronic HBV.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Right now you have normal liver function tests and a reassuring liver ultrasound.

However, hepatitis B needs serial monitoring to determine the status of your disease over time and the need for treatment. The activity of HBV can change so it is important to have good follow-up.

I wouldn't define you as a "healthy carrier". This is terminology that we usually don't use any more. I also wouldn't call you an "inactive carrier" because you still have some degree of virus in your blood, although it is on the lower side than it usually seen with most patients with chronic active hepatitis where milions and billions of virions are seen.

If your liver function tests remain normal, your immune system may be "tolerant" of the virus and usually that situation is associated with little liver disease. If your liver function tests become abnormal over time, I would probably assess a liver biopsy to determine how much disease you have since an ultrasound is not near as sensitive as a biopsy.

HCV Normal Range
Non or late resopnder

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint