Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B and work issuess
Apr 15, 2007

Hi... I am not from the USA but am planning on taking an internship at a hotel there. I have chronic Hp B and am using Zeffix right now (HbsAg + and HBV DNA -, ALT and AST at normal levels).My first question is: Will they ask for a full health report before I start working? If they do and they find out, what actions might they take? Should I take the risk and come all the way to USA?

Secondly: Can I get Zeffix in the US easily? Do I need prescriptions?

Thanks a lot in advance... Your answers will be much appreciated...

Response from Dr. McGovern

Zeffix (lamivudine) has led to viral suppression with normalization of liver function tests. This is great news for your chronic hepatitis B infection. The next step is to monitor your HBeAg to see if you develop seroconversion (loss of E antigen with gain of E antibody). If that occurs then you should be treated for a minimum of six months after that event.

Right now I would say that your disease is being controlled extremely well. I do not know requirements of these places of employment and suspect that the details may vary on the job. Zeffix (lamivudine) is extremely easy to get and is the cheapest HBV drug.

Previous
Entecavir Baraclude
Next
HCV/HIV COINFECTION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.