My partner is HIV and Hep-B +

Dear Dr. McGovern, My new partner has been HIV+ and HepB+ since 1992. His current treatment is combivir + viread. He also took Hepsera for two years till last month. He is undetectable for both viruses but had a liver biopsy done and he had fibrosis in stage 2 before treatment with Hepsera. I am also HIV+ taking Sustiva and Truvada. I am also undetectable and my CD4 are above 800. I completed the vaccination for HepB 6 months after testing + for HIV but have not been tested to see if I created antibodies against HepB. Can my boyfriend remain undetectable from now own? What is his prognosis? Am I at risk of becoming infected with Hep-B? Tahnk you very much for your answer.

It appears that you are both on medications that will be dually active against both viruses.

It is extremely important that you have the hepatitis B surface antibodies checked to see if you have had a antibody response. If not, then you can consider repeating the immunization series with a higher dose of vaccine. There is a paper on this by an author Fonseca, where patients with HIV had higher rates of seroconversion with a higher dose of vaccine.

Whether you partner stays nondetectable will definitely depend on taking all his medications all the time. You can certainly help each other out with adherence and daily reminders.

cocaine and my liver
hep B and hiv