reacurrance

I took interferon treatments for one year. They made me so sick, I went back to the Dr. for my 6th month follow up the hepatitis is back. I dont understand. Please reply asap I'am devistated. Thank you

How disappointing for you.

It sounds like you must have been responding so well, but now have had a recurrance. There are a couple of things I would do:

1. If your liver disease is not advanced, I would probably wait for more therapies to come along.

2. If your liver disease is advanced, you are an excellent candidate for maintenance therapy since you responded to treatment. I would treat you until your virus is suppressed and then I would decrease the dose to see if you remain suppressed on low dose. This is very well tolerated. Keep in mind that we do not have proof yet that low dose long term mainenance is the right approach. We are still waiting for the results of trials.

Either way, you did respond and this is much much better than not responding at all, since most of the new therapies are probably going to be combined with interferon.

mother transfer-to son.29years old now
Many thanks, Dr M.,