non response after rapid response.

My partner has HIV/HepC type 1. In addition to HAART, he was started on Pegasys and Ribavirin 1200mg Daily. Imagine how pleased we were when he showed a rapid response and became undetectable in 4 weeks. Now imagine our dissapointment when 6 months later Hepatitis C virus was detected again. (HIV remains undetectable). He has now discontinued Pegasys and Ribavirin as recommended by his doc as it was clearly not working. The plan is to wait until new treatments become available ( He was told that "his liver is in good shape,"). I suppose that that is all that can be recommended at this time? One thing that was a bit unusual is that he took Pegasys and 1200mg Ribavirin like it was water! No side effects at all. His doctor was shocked that he continued to work, work-out etc. with virtually no impact. Is it possible that for him the dosages were inadequate for the appropriate bodily response? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I am also quite surprised that after a rapid viral load response his viral load returned.

Since his liver is in "good shape" I would favor simply waiting for additional therapies at this point since retreatment would most likely lead to similar outcomes.

In the meantime, be certain that he is immune to hepatitis A and B and keep alcohol consumption to a minimum.

Best of luck.

Hep B surface antibody range after vaccine
Can Acute hepa b be totally cleared?