Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

herpatitis and HIV+ve
Mar 23, 2007

what is the best way out in a case were one is hiv+ and has heratitis B,where ARV treatment is stopped despite low CD4 count due to the drugs worsening condition of the liver.Please suggest a way forward.

Response from Dr. McGovern

This is a complicated situation.

When a patient has hepatitis B, I do try to continue medications that will suppress hepatitis B virus. I prefer Truvada in the situation when a patient also needs treatment for their HIV disease as well. Truvada combines emtricitabine and tenofovir which are both active against hepatitis B.

I would get an ultrasound, an alfa feto protein, a liver biopsy, and see an expert hepatologist or an infectious disease doctor who are informed about taking care of coinfected patients.

If you have cirrhosis and your liver is decompensating, I would talk to your doctor about referral to a liver transplant program that is doing transplants in HIV patients. Patients with HIV/HBV do particularly well.

If you don't have cirrhosis, I would want to get you on the best hepatitis B regimen possible.

Previous
hep B
Next
healthy carrier?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.