Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared with symptoms!
Mar 23, 2007

Hi, Sorry my question is a bit lengthy, and Im not sure if it should be posted here, but I dont know who else to ask, and I cant bear symptom searching anymore, please, if you are able to, could you answer a few questions for me? The past few months, I have been worried about possible HIV infection after experiencing symptoms after unprotected anal sex. (I was the insertive partner). I tested negative with P24 and ELISA at seven weeks, and received a negative ELISA yesterday, this being seven months after the possible exposure, with several negative ELISA tests in-between. However, I have still been given no reason as to the cause of my symptoms. For the past six months, I have had swollen glands in my neck, groin, underarms, and a whole 'host' of them under my chin. I have a blotchy rash that covers my stomach, and a mottled rash on my hands, the rash on my hands is red and very blotchy and seems to 'fade' if I elevate my hands, but come right back I lower them.(this rash is causing me a great deal of concern as I have read that such a rash is common in those infected with Hepatitis) I have had a chronic sore throat, regular headaches, loose stools, and have also been treated for thrush. My doctors have run full blood counts, ESR tests to look for inflammation, and a number of other tests for allergies and intolerances, and all has returned normal, and as I mention, I have had several negative HIV tests out to seven months. I do not think they have tested me for hepatitis. I have another appointment with my doctor this week, and will ask for a hepatitis test. My questions are, 1) can I rely on my seven-month negative HIV test, whether or not I test positive for hepatitis? 2) Do these symptoms sound indicative of a hepatitis infection; these symptoms have been quite severe and persistent for the past six months and shown no real signs of improvement. Yesterday I was one of the happiest men alive when I got my negative HIV result, now Im petrified again, that my HIV test is not conclusive? 3) Can I still rely on this negative HIV test at seven months even if I may have hepatitis? Last year I started the course of vaccinations against Hep B, I have had three, but am still waiting for the final injection a year later, dont know of this information is of any importance.

I would be eternally grateful for any information you may be able to give me,

Thanks, Simon, worried again in the UK.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would conclude that your HIV test is conclusively negative.

I would not expect your symptoms to be explained by hepatitis.

I agree that hepatitis B vaccination is a good idea; you should also consider hepatitis A vaccine as well.

I cannot conclude what you symptoms may be due to. If you still have swollen glands, you can discuss with your physician as to whether a lymph node biopsy is in order.

Previous
How long after infection is Hepatitis still considered acute?
Next
Hospitalization from HB

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.