The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic HBV infection
Mar 23, 2007

My name is Praveen and i am from India. I have several doubts on this disease as my mother and brother died of the same. 1)Is it Hereditery? 2)I have done LFT and CBC and everything appears normal. 3)Liver Biopsy is done and liver is fine with no infection? Kindly let me is whether is it serious or i can lead a normal life. The Question are very critical as i am planning to get married and i dont wnat to hide anything to my wife.kindly revert back at the earliest

Response from Dr. McGovern

My advice is to get a hepatitis serology panel - Hepatitis B surface antigen at the very least. If this is negative, you do not have chronic hepatitis B.

It is possible that your mother had hepatitis B and passed it during childbirth to your brother. This does not mean that you have it too since it is possible that you got HBV immunoglobulin at the time of birth.

This simple blood test will help sort out if you have infection. However, it also sounds like you had a reassuring biopsy as well.

If your hepatitis B surface antigen is positive, and your liver tests and biopsy are good, then you will still need follow-up over time to be certain that it stays that way - about every six months. If your surface antigen is positive, I would also obtain hepatitis E antigen and HBV DNA viral load testing.

Good luck.

delayed seroconversion
How long after infection is Hepatitis still considered acute?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint