Do Hep C antibodies persist even if you cleared the virus 10-15 years ago?
Mar 16, 2007
Dr. McGovern If I tested antiHCV Negative recently, could that still mean that I had it a long time ago, cleared it on my own, and the antibodies are no longer detectable? Or do the antibodies last a lifetime?Thank you .
Response from Dr. McGovern
If you tested HCV negative, you probably were negative all along. Yes you can lose antibody over time, but it usually takes decades of no viremia (virus in your blood) to lose your antibodies.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Mouth After Fisting Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Sucking Penis Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Lap Dance Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.