Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

undetectable and alcohol use
Mar 16, 2007

i have benn thru treatment for hep c and have been undetectable for six months.i am wanting to know if i may safly use alcohol occasionly. one doctor said yes once a week or less in moderation and one said no not at all.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Congratulations on your sustained virologic cure of your hepatitis C. That is a great accomplishment.

The issue of alcohol after hepatitis C treatment really depends on two things: 1. How bad was your liver disease to start? If you had advanced liver disease, I would agree with no alcohol. If only mild or moderate, I think occasional one to two drinks once weekly is certainly acceptable. 2. Did you have a problem with alcohol abuse in the past? If yes, then none is the answer.If no, then one or two drinks per week seems acceptable to me. However, if you got several doctors in one room, you would get several different answers because noone knows for sure and it is just an educated guess. Less is better than more - that is for sure!

Best of luck.

Previous
Flare in Chronic HBV Infection
Next
Do Hep C antibodies persist even if you cleared the virus 10-15 years ago?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.