LD and bilirubin

Hi, doctor:

I just got the blood report and the family doctor asked me to do one more bllod test:

What does this mean: LD 195 and Tot.Bilirubin of 23umol/L and Dir.Bilirubin of 6umol/L? Thanks.

Thank you for your question.

Elevated bilirubin can be due to many things and it doesn't necessarily indicate disease.

Elevated bilirubin can be an incidental finding in Gilbert's syndrome, which just indicates that your body handles bilirubin slightly differently than other people. It has no clinical significance.

Elevated bilirubin can be a mild side effect of medications.

Elevated bilirubin can be a sign of acute or chronic liver disease.

Sometimes bilirubin is elevated due to destruction of red blood cells. This would be accompanied by anemia.

I am not sure what LD is. Perhaps you mean LDH?

Your pattern of low direct with elevated bilirubin seems to suggest Gilbert's. I would discuss this with your doctor.

Hep C Risk
hiv and hep c