Co-Infection HIV/HEP C

I find myself feeling sick and experiences symtoms like, cold/or upper respiratory conditions; it casues me to be extremely weak and disoriented. I seems to be linked with a streeful event;espeicall my very physically demanding job and mental stress/ I have fought to stay in this field but now I am feeling depressed and just so run down all the time Is it uncommon for someone to present in this way?? I have 4th stage cirrosis and aids diagnois; I am been living with both of these conditions for more than twenty years; my hiv is managed and I had hep c tx failure twice; I just feel so defeated at this time in my life and feel that I need to know if others are having the same experiences

From the read of your email, you are trying to cope with an AIDS diagnosis and cirrhosis secondary to hepatitis C after failing two rounds of treatment. This is difficult for sure.

I would like to offer some reasons for future hope:

1. There are several studies suggesting that HIV therapy also offers benefit to liver health.

2. There are new treatments being developed for HCV which look very promising in that they lead to a rapid viral decline within a month of therapy. One particular drug, telapravir, in combination with PEG interferon and ribavirin, was tested in about 30 individuals with HCV alone and led to viral suppression in all patients.

3. It is important to avoid harmful agents, such as alcohol, which is damaging to the liver. It sounds like you are doing so.

4. Yes, support groups are very important and you should pursue this in your community.

5. I would also ask your physician to let you know when it may be time to discuss a possible visit to a center that does liver transplants in HIV patients. Since you have had two courses of interferon, I suspect that although you were not cured of your hepatitis C, you may still have obtained a histologic benefit from this therapy, and this is not necessary at present.

6. It also sounds like you are being taken care of by a team of very good physicians.

Best regards for your health. Talk to others to help sustain you through this difficult time.

hep c
Hep C and Hypoglycemia