exposure to hep c

I'm a healthcare worker and got ascites fluid from HepC pos patient on my hands...had some cracks in them from dry skin. My initial HCV antibody at the time of exposure was negative. Will a HCV PCR give me any information at week 4 post-exposure? What are my chances of contracting HCV? Can't get it off my mind.

The risk of getting hepatitis C is extremely low. I think that since you are a healthcare worker, you should simply follow the post-exposure recommendations for serial testing for your own protection. However, I expect you to remain negative.

transmitting hepc
hep c and hiv window period