Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep test results
Feb 11, 2007

Hi Doc,

I was diagnosed of Hep b last Nov, 2005. Results were; Hbsag = Reactive HbeAg = Non - reactive Sgot/Alt = 108 I consulted a doctor for internal medicine, he prescribed me medicine " GODEX". After about six months ( June, 2006) I undergone another blood test. results were; Hbsag ( Titer ) result - 0.122 Non- reactive Sgot/ Ast = 52 Sgpt/ Alt = 156. I showed the result of my test and my doctor told me that the result is doing good but my Alt is still above normal.So i ask if am already cleared of the virus but according to my doctor he can't tell if I already cleared of hep b. So Again undergone blood testlast Oct, 2006. Results were; SGOT/AST = 46 SGOT/ALT = 78 HBSAG TITER = 2624 Reactive. I was too worried of the result bec based on my last test result of HBsag is already non-reactive howcome that my Oct, 2006 tests resulted to "REactive". Last Jan. 05, 2007 i decided to had again blood test and results were; HBSAG -REACTIVE ( ONE STEP) A-HBs = <2 SGOT/ALT = 30(normal) SGOT/ALT = 67(normal) My questions are:

1.Is the results means that I am CHRONIC? 2.Am I a health hazard to my wife, children and co-employees? 3. Is there a cure to this kind of sickness? 4. If I'm not mistaken, I had a vacine for hepa several years ago (1987)howcome that I was infected with the virus. 5.Will I still live longer?

Worried Guy

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes you have chronic hepatitis B e antigen negative infection. I would follow your HBV DNA results on treatment to be certain that you suppress your virus. The length of treatment is indefinite right now since most people who have e antigen negative infection will have a relapse once medication is stopped. \ Your level of infectivity is determined by the level of virus (HBV DNA) Your family should be vaccinated against HBV> Viral suppression will lead to a healthier liver.

Previous
hep a
Next
transmitting hepc

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.