Can Hepaititis B be cleared

Hello, I was recently coinfected with Hep B and HIV my Hep B viral load is 170,000. My liver ultrasound showed no damage and my liver function tests are normal. I will be treated with Sustiva and Truvada. Is it possible that I can clear my Hep B completely and become a carrier. Or is chronic Hep B for life. At some point can I use interferon to become a carrier where the disease is not constantly attacking my liver? Thank you for your time.

I think the plan of using Truvada is an excellent one since it has two drugs with activity against hepatitis B and will probably lead to viral suppression, which is excellent. If your e antigen is positive, it would be nice to also see seroconversion (loss of e antigen and the gain of e antibody).

There are few data on the use of pegylated interferon in HIV/HBV patients. However, I suspect it would be useful if your CD4 counts rise, but you may do very well on the treatment plan that is already laid out for you.

Best of luck and remember the importance of adherence to all doses.

Also get hepatitis A vaccine if you are not immune.

HEP B
drug for hepa b?