Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

interpret of the results for various test for Hepa B
Feb 11, 2007

My brother was diagnosed that he is reactive for HSBg and undergo the following test:

-HbeAg patients value is 893.10 given a cut off value of 1.00 - ALAT (sgpT) 51.68 U/L FOR S I unit and 21.68 for conventional unit - ASAT (sgot) 5.75 u/l for both S I unit and conventional unit - HBV DNA 40.000,000 COPIES/ml - ultrasound of the liver remarks: The liver is normal in size, contour and texture. No discrete mass lesion nor dilated intrahepatic ducts.

Given the above test results, I would like another opinion for my brother. Is there a posibility that he will be cured? What is the proper treatment that he must undergo? and Is Essentiale forte capsule good for him?

I hope that you could help us on this matter. Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your brother has chronic hepatitis B E antigen positive infection. He will need careful follow-up every three to six months.

The decision to treat hepatitis B depends on several things: 1. I would not treat him right now since the chance of "seroconversion" (making the e antigen go from positive to negative) is low because his liver function tests are very low. However, this can easily change over time. The best chance of seroconversion is to treat when the liver function tests (ALT and AST) become markedly elevated.

2. Age is a factor. Patients over 40 may still be considered for liver biopsy and treatment.

3. Serial follow-up is the most important issue to determine the stability of his laboratories. If his ALT remains mildly abnormal and his viral load remains high, I would get a liver biopsy to see how much liver disease he has and then make my decision based on that.

Therefore, the decision to treat sometime in the future will depend on his future monitoring results and his age. I would not make decisions based on one set of tests.

Previous
Pregnancy
Next
#8137: Hepatitis B Virus DNA UltraQuant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.