Terrified for my baby, please help.

Dear Dr McGovern, A relative of my husband in his fifties and heavily tatooed, recently came to visit. I noticed that he had a large fresh cut on the back of his hand with dried blood on it, but no band aid. Later, after my baby's bath, I grabbed a towel to dry her and afterwards, noticed that there was a fair amount of blood on it. The relative must have used the towel to dry his hands on. I had used this towel to dry my hands on too, at the same time.I had a couple of cuts on my hands and my daughter had a graze on her knee. We are immunised against Hep B, but I am terrified that we might be at risk from Hep C. Apart from the tattoos, I know of no other risk factors that the relative has been exposed to. My husband is a medical professional and feels there is no risk and that we don't need testing, but I'm not sure. Please help!

I would agree that there are no major concerns since hepatitis C transmission requires blood to blood exposure.

Your relative should be more careful with his blood and body fluids and your husband should discuss that with him.

HEPATITC C/ GREAT QUESTION
hep c reinfection