Longterm coinfection

I've had both HIV/HepC for around 25+/- years. Never had AIDS and my docs say at the worst I am in stage 1 Hep C and have been there for a long time, possibly just having an inactive virus. Okay, my question is, I have outrageous fatigue. I mean, my t-cells can be up around 1000 and I am still tired... no one knows why. One idea is the brain viral load the other would be the Hep C. No one seems to know and because I am not sick, I guess it's not a big concern. MY question is, would it be worth going off HIV meds and suffering with interferon to possibly get rid of the fatigue? My docs never seem to have a definitive answer... usually the answer is, since you are stable, why bother? I would LIKE to have a job! I feel silly with counts that high and always having to take naps and lay around.

My answer to your question is that I have seen many many patients complain of disabling fatigue that appears to be related to hepatitis C. Fatigue is the most common symptom of this infection.

It is completely reasonable to try a course of pegylated interferon alfa 2a plus ribavirin and see if your virus responds. I would check your viral load before treatment, one month into treatment, and at 12 weeks. If the response is good, then continue. If no response, I would stop since you do not have significant liver disease.

I would also check for autoimmune diseases and thyroid diseases which can cause significant fatigue.

HEP C
Outcome of Hepatitis C without any type of treatment