Please save my brother?

My brother is 34 year old. In 1981, when he was 8 years old, He first infected with hepatities C and treatened for long time. Later, In 1990, when he was 17 years old, the ill was repeated (hepatitis C). Because of ill his body was so weak during his child and adolescences years. When he was 30 years old, in 2003, he was again diseased Hepatities C and going under control of doctors. Biopsy:

27th May, 2003

HBsAg- (++) AntiHCV (-) ASAT 83,7 ALAT 150,7

After the Biopsy, he made a treatment with Interferon (Cuban) for once in two day, treatment lasted 60 days, (30 injection)

Biopsy of the next years,

4th June, 2004

HBsAg- (++) AntiHCV (-) ASAT 90,2 ALAT 184,2

30th March 2005

HBsAg- (+) AntiHCV (+) ASAT 120,0 ALAT 138,7

21th July 2005

HBsAg- (++) AntiHCV (+) ASAT 89,2 ALAT 127,2

After that Biopsy, September, 2005. He went to China and controlled BEIJING YOUAN HOSPITAL. During the control of that hospital, He made a treatment with PEG INTERFERION ALFA-2b once in a week. It lasts one year. During the injection with PEG INTERFERION ALFA-2b he faced severe side effects. For example, body was going extremely thin and hair was falling rapidly, also skin is going very dry and itchy. But had not stop injection. During and after the injection he was ate drug by doctors advice.

Biopsy after the 12 months,

15th January, 2007

HBsAg (+) Anti-HBc (+) Anti-HBs (-) Anti-HCV (+) ASAT-88,0 ALAT-172,0

What can I we do?

The first thing I will say is that you do not have biopsy results - only blood test results. It is therefore difficult to say if he has significant liver disease.

Second, I would suggest getting a HCV RNA and an HBV DNA level. This way you can tell if the HBV infection is the primary problem, or the HCV is the problem. This will direct your brother's treatment.

abnormal alt and ast
Hepatitis C and saliva