Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B treatment
Jan 28, 2007

Dear Ms McGovern,

My mother has recently died from liver cancer (at the age of 54yr) which is thought to have been caused by hep b. The hospital said they couldnt help her and so just offered palitative care. Ever since her death, I cant stop thinking that there was something that i could have done. Is there any treatment available for people who have developed liver cancer from hep b (she was diagnosed at the age of 30 but was told that there was nothing to worry about as it would never affect her)? She had several small tumours and one tumour was 5cm.

Also, my family have been tested for the virus and myself and one brother are positive but my father and my remaining brother are not. Can you expalin why this is so?

I recently turned 21yr and my blood test results have shown that there is some damage to my liver but i am due for an ultra sound scan in a few weeks. Can you tell me what this means for me? Is it likely that this is what happened to my mother? Are we on the same path?

Also, is there anything i can do to help my condition?, such as a special diet? (at the moment, i am not eating very healthy and i have constant cravings for sweets, is this linked to my condition?)

thank you, sorry about the length!

Response from Dr. McGovern

Unfortunately we know much more now about hepatitis B than years before. It has become clear this year that keeping the virus level low is very important to prevent liver cancer. This wasn't well understood before. We also have much better treatments for hepatitis B now that just two years ago.

I am so sorry that this information and these new treatments were not available to your mother.

Previous
HB cAB results and exposure window
Next
Cure for Hep B?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.