Jan 28, 2007
She had a baby 6-months after her baby's father was diagnosed with Hep C. What are the possible risks to the mother and child?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
There is a low likelihood of transmission to the mother and even less to the child.
The risk of transmission of HCV through sex is very low (1 to 3 percent among monogamous couples). Furthermore, even if she became infected, the risk of transmitting to a baby is also very low (about 5 percent).
I would personally have the mother tested for HCV antibody and stop there if negative.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Painful Red Spots After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Deep Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Touching Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can Herpes Cause Diarrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.