Possibility of Hep C transmission
Jan 28, 2007
My boyfriend's mother went to her sister' house (her sister's husband is infected with hepatitis C, although states he's inactive) and used a needle that he had previously used to check her blood sugar. Please tell me what her risks are of contracting hepatitis C and what she should do at this point. Anxiously awaiting your reply. Thanks!!!
Response from Dr. McGovern
She should see her physician regarding this exposure. Although the needles used to check blood sugars are very small, hepatitis C is easy to transmit.
It is also possible that the HCV patient does not have virus in his blood and that is why he is saying he is "inactive".
Regardless, needles should never be shared.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Oral Ulcers A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Achy Balls After Licking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Touching Skin Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.