Gay man, hiv+, AND hepC+

I was told by a health professional the hepC strain carried by most gay men is more virulent than that of non-gay men. Is this true? After 4 months of Rebetron/ribiviron therapy, I showed significantly less copies of HepC but I wasn't undectable. Am I on schedule or am I showing signs of resistance? Is Peg proving more promising for those of us who have already been on Rebetron? Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There really is no gay genotype. The genotype of HCV most difficult to treat is genotype 1 which is usually found in former IV drug users. I actually think that gay men more often have genotype 2 or 3 which are much easier to treat. Peg interferon is definitely better and easier to take. If you are on rebetron now, you can also switch to the peg and take the ribavrin from your rebetron. The peg is available now if you are ready to switch. Good luck! DTD

has your opinion on life expectancy changed ?
new procedure for facial wasting, any info for or against?