ALT/66

I am HIV positive. My T cells are 1100 and my vl is <50. All my live functions were fine except that the ALT was 66 ( 12/14/06 ). The ALT was 31 on 9/1/06. My a/g ratio was 1.5. I am concerned that I have HPV, but my doctor want me to wait until March 07 to get tested. Assuming that I am HCV positive, would the the HPV and was recently infected, would the ALT be much higher than 66. The only medicines I am taking are Trizivir, B Complex, heavy doses of Vitamin C. I was on doxycycline, but stopped taking that a week before my test. I drink a lot of green tea, chamomile, and peppermint teas as well.

Please advise.

Your ALT is only modestly elevated and you have a history of having a normal ALT in the recent past.

If you recently acquired HCV, the ALT can begin to rise and would continue to rise much higher. Further testing would be helpful. Namely, a HCV antibody and more ALT testing. If you are concerned regarding a very recent risky behavior, then you may want to request HCV RNA testing as well, which can be positive before the antibody.

However, it is very possible that the doxycycline or your other medications could have caused this very mild elevation of ALT as well. I certainly would not be overly concerned at this point.

Need truth about wife's condition
MIld Scarring of the Liver