|How many have HIV & HCV
Dec 3, 2006
What is your estimate of the percentage of HIV+ gay men who are also HCV+? Resources that deal with co-infenction are very difficlut to find and I have been told that the number is far higher than most people believe.
Response from Dr. McGovern
Serosurveys of HCV positivity in this risk group vary but most are under 10 percent. However, it is important to point out that during the past year or so there have been several papers published on "acute" HCV infection (meaning recently acquired) in MSM. These infections seem to be related to sex with trauma or sex in the setting of other STDs which seem to increase the risk of getting HCV.
- People Who Spread Hiv With Infected Needles
- Is Two Weeks After Having Sex Too Early To Get Tested For Hiv?
- Hiv Risk If U Get Semen On Your Hands
- If You Have Hiv But You Are Undetectable Can You Still Give Someone Hiv While Having Sex?
- Where Does Gonorrhea Come From?
- When Can One Use Topical Skin Care On Dry Shingles?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.