|How many have HIV & HCV
Dec 3, 2006
What is your estimate of the percentage of HIV+ gay men who are also HCV+? Resources that deal with co-infenction are very difficlut to find and I have been told that the number is far higher than most people believe.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Serosurveys of HCV positivity in this risk group vary but most are under 10 percent. However, it is important to point out that during the past year or so there have been several papers published on "acute" HCV infection (meaning recently acquired) in MSM. These infections seem to be related to sex with trauma or sex in the setting of other STDs which seem to increase the risk of getting HCV.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is White Tongue A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Can Someone Get AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Chances Of Catching AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Dizziness After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Painful Urination After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.