Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LIFE SPAN AVERAGE
Dec 3, 2006

Hey Dr.McGovern, I read that the average age at which someone with Hep C dies at is between 46-54..when will I die? I just got infected at 22, I am now 23. I don't drink or do drugs, I work out and stay healthy. I have genotype 1a, the one that is hard to cure..there are new meds on the way though..THANK GOD..Anyway's how long will I live, I know it varies, just an average would be perfect..and with the new meds coming out, do I still have hope for a cure..PLASE BE SO KIND TO ANSWER

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think the content you read is misleading.

1. Not everyone with HCV virus in their blood even develops liver disease. So just because you are infected doesn't mean that the virus is causing liver damage. You need a liver biopsy to determine that. 2. People who DO have liver disease can often benefit from treatment. More than half of patients (with genotype 1) are cured. The percent is even higher when you look at patients who took all their doses of medications. 3. There are exciting new drugs on the way, which will hopefully be available in a few years.

Previous
Hepatitis
Next
hepititis c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.