Hep C prognosis

My wife was recently diagnosised with Hep C which would have been dormant for 30 years. She has a 173,000 titer count and was just found to e geneotype 4.No results back on the liver ultrasound but she is very fatiqued, depressed and is putting on a lot of water weight below her abdomen. Both our sons are being tested. What are her chances for erradication of the virus and of my son's having contracted it. One is 23 and the other 17. Thanks Chris

Most likely your sons do not have it. 95 percent chance they are HCV negative.

As for your wife, if she has compensated liver disease as per her physician, then she would be a candidate for therapy. Her chance of responding is high with such a nice low viral load.

She will need evaluation to determine if she needs an antidepressant prior to therapy since interferon can itself cause depression.

Im infected can I still work?
hep c treatment