Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Syphilis and HIV
Nov 25, 2006

Hello, I know this is the section for Hep C but could not find any for HIV/Syphilis. Hopefully you can help on this topic though: I got syphilis 2 years ago which came hand in hand with a chancre on my penis. I was successfully treated with penicilline. Nevertheless the chancre scar never really went away totally and has ever since remained slightly noticeable. About 9 weeks ago I started having cold sweats at night, muscle pain, a rash in the upper body, 3 very unusual mouth ulceres located on the gums nearby the teeth, and varied non painful ulceres on the tip of my penis. Within 4 or 5 days sweats and muscle pain went away but the rash and the ulceres remained. Now, ie 2 months later, everything apart from the penis ulcere has gone. I did an antigene p24 and Elisa test about 15 days after the start of the first symptoms, which came back negative. I am however extremely anxious to have caught HIV as what I went through gathers most of the possible symptoms of the primo-infection that I have read about. Is the likelihood to catch HIV higher because of my former syphilis and/or because of the scar left by the chancre? Many thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not expect your prior syphilis infection to still be an issue here...I think you are getting the proper work-up for your concerns and so far so good... I am uncertain as to the cause of your current symptoms. If you are concerned about a possible STD, you may want to obtain addtional testing for syphilis again to be certain you did not get reinfected.

Previous
Alcohol, Hep C, and Interferon Treatment
Next
Please help me answer some of my doubts!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.