Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oh boy. lol
Nov 25, 2006

My son gave blood at a high school blood drive. He recieved a letter telling him he had hep B. I was in nursing in the 90's and was titerd for it, but my test results along with his at our physicians came back positive for both of us. My 5 year old came back negative. The 17 year old is mine from a previous marriage. I have never lived a risky life as I have read up on ways to aquire Hep B. I dont fit into any of the categories, except the nursing. My 17 yr. old son is a virgin. What in the world is going on. My wife the mother of my 5 year old is planning on getting tested Monday. This week has just about given us a nervous breakdown. Please give us some advice on how? should we get more testing done. I had drug induced hep in March from Methotrexate taken for psoriatic arthritis. I was hospitalized, but I have had hep tests in the past and they were negative. We just are really confused. I know this is probably as confusing to you. Our family is close and I can tell you for sure that my wife nor myself has put either at risk, and can believe my 17 yr. old when he tells me he is a virgin. could he have carried it this long without symptoms and aquired it from his mother. We have not seen her in 11 years. I know wow. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not lose any more sleep over this.

You do not have the full story yet for any of you.

Hepatitis B testing needs to be done fully and properly. You could easily have a false positive test. This occurs in about 5 percent of the population who donates blood. False positive tests occur more often in low risk populations.

Have a good nights sleep and talk to your physician next week about getting a proper work-up and evaluation for hepatitis B surface antigen hepatitis B core antibody and hepatitis B surface antibody.

Previous
HB results-sophea
Next
ana ifa test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.