Give me advice for treatment of chronical hep B and D

Hi, I am from Europe, Bulgaria.Excuse my grammer mistakes. Three years ago the test showed that I have chronical hep. B and D.Doctor to;d me I need alfa interferon treatment but I read the side effects and got scared. I read in Internet that patients having hep.D after interferon treatment got cirrhosis and several doctors did not recomend interferon in case of hep.D.So, I refuse to be treated with interferon. Is there any effective treatment for the combination of hep.B and D(chronical)in USA because I live in Bulgaria and the level of medicine is rather low here. I have no compalaints. Is it dangerous and how many years can I wait without any treatment? my Email is

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I do not understand parts of your question.There is no risk of infection with any hepatitis virus during interferon treatment.Regarding hepatitis B, you have two alternatives:you can receive interferon for 4 months,or you can use Lamiduvine (Epivir) for 12months.IFN treatment is 10 million units three times per week,and have multiple side effects.Many of the side effects can be minimized by using other medications or by using instead, 5 million units daily.Around30-40% of patients clear the HBeAg and 10% clear the HBSAg.The benefits of treatment are improvement of survival ,a decrease of the complications and the risk of hepatocellular cancer.Epivir is an oral tablet, that has minimal side effects and result in HBDNA and HBeAg loss in 30% of patients,HBeAg seroconversion in 16-18%,sustained ALT normalization in 40-50%. In your case ,you may need to consider that Epivir would be also a less costly alternative.

Hep B -Conversion look likely?
hiv and hep viruses