Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B -Conversion look likely?
Apr 7, 2001

.Hello Drs.

I was diagnosed with chronic HBV approx. 18 mos. ago. I have completed 4 mos. of Interferon therapy (5 IU every day). I have also been on Epivir for 3 mos. (100 mg. per day). My doc is quite encouraged by the results. My viral load is now in the indetectable range (<400,000 copies - down from >500 million copies in Sept.) and my liver enzymes remain elevated. For this reason, my doc feels that I will likely convert. My question is, do you agree that a E-antigen/E-antibody conversion is likely? Should I stay on the Interferon even though 4 mos. is the standard treatment? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Around 30-40% of patients that are treated with interferon will have clearance of HBVDNA,and HBeAg.The relapse rate isvery low if you also clear the HBsAg;but this only is acieved in 10% of cases.All the trials of combination of IFN and lamiduvine, have not shown improvement in responses.There are some studies that suggest that prolongued treatment with lamiduvine. may increase the HBeAg clearance.You may consider to remain in Epivir for 18 months ,after you finish interferon,if you do not achieve loss of HBeAg with your present tretment.

Previous
Electrolysis and HIV
Next
Give me advice for treatment of chronical hep B and D

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.