Need Help On Hep C Question?

Dear DR. In 1971 I was released from the Army, after serving in Vietnam. In early 1973 I got sick and turned yellow. I went to the emergeny room and was treated. My wife and ,son had to get gamma gloubin shots. In 1986 Iwent to the emergency room and was checked for pain in the R. U. Quad. The did a test for Hep A & B and it came back negative. In 2003 I went to the VA for an Agent Orange Screening and was told I have Hep C. I was never a drug user (except Pot occasionally) and don"t fall in the other high risk factors. The only exposure I had to any blood in the service was a guy next to me got shot in the face and he grabbed me and bled all over me and the other being those air gun injector. Could either of these have infected me? Thank You

It is difficult to say. Yes if you were exposed to lots of blood and had some abrasions on your skin, you may have been exposed. It is feasible, especially in the line of excessive blood exposure in the setting of trauma. But again - no way to say for sure. Some people never know how they got exposed.

Best of luck with your evaluation. I hope you do well.

Hep C & Children
Thank you, Dr M,