Husband has Hep B

Hello. My husband was recently diagnosed with hep b and alpha 1 antitripsyn deficiency. I however, am negative for the hep b virus. My question is: if I am immunized for hep b can we ever have "unprotected" sex again? Will he always have this? I have looked through your forum and I am still confused. Please help. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

If your husband has hepatitis B you need to be inmmune to the virus,to have unprotected sex.You need to check with your doctor, if you have antibodies against hepatitis B that provide you with protection against a future infection.If you do not have antibodies ,you can receive the vaccine and become inmmune.Then you will not have any risk with sexual contact with your husband. You should have safe sex till you check this,and get the vaccine if it is needed.

What year did they start giving HeptitisChildhood Vac.
hepatitis and hiv