Nov 12, 2006
can you get hepatistis c frpm having sex with some one who has this disease? what are the chances? should we use condoms all the time?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Hepatitis C is uncommonly transmitted by sex. It occurs about 1 to 2 percent among monogamous couples. It occurs more frequently in those with multiple sex partners and in association with sex with trauma (anal intercourse). It also seems to be associated with the presence of genital ulcers (syphilis for example).
Condoms can be considered among monogamous couples to reduce risk. Whether couples use condoms depends on how much risk you are willing to accept. Remember also that condoms can reduce the spread of other sexually transmitted diseases.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chances Of Catching HIV From Sex With A Prostitute
- Ache In Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Bloody Nose After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.