couple with hep c

My girlfriend and I both have Hepatitis C.

We are monogamous, have been together for over a year and want to stop using condoms.

Since we both have HCV is it safe do so, or should we double check genotypes/strains?

This is a terrific question, but I am afraid there are no clear answers.

I think your suggestion of getting checked for genotypes is interesting and may be helpful. However, keep in mind that even if you have the same genotype, eg genotype 1 - it can be 1a or 1b. In theory, acquisition of another strain could be a problem for your immune system. The problem is - we just don't know for sure.

Also keep in mind that the risk of sexual transmission is low among monogamous couples of about 1 to 2 percent. Sex with trauma (eg anal intercourse) increases that risk.

tx of cirrhosis
My Marriage is put on hold because of my HBV DNA PCR test