Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transfusions-HepC-reatment-non responder How long till I can try again
Nov 3, 2006

I had last babies C-section and hemooraged aafter everyone, I ended up with transufions equally 21 pts of blood from '84-'90. I found out I had Hep C 3 years ago and finally decided to giv the interon and rebatol treatment a try. I started with a viral load of 165,650,890 unitd. After the 12 months of living hell I had a viral unit of 10,000 units but the dovtor wouldn't let me stay on for another month even though I know I would have beat it. He claim that I waws a non responder because of the provided baselines and it wouldn't have happened. My blood count dropped to half of a normal count and I lost a tremendous amount of weight.Weighing in at 120 to start I dropped to 104. Anyway, the reason I am writing is how long should I wait before I try treatment again. I can't get an answer from my Doctor, should I just change Doctors and start agin while my viral load is low (hopefully still-it's been 3 months and they haen't done any blood work on me) before it replicates or should I as I am considering just find another Doctor? Thanks in advance. You really are livesavers!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree with your doctor's decision about stopping therapy. It was unlikely that you would have been cured because it was taking way too long to clear the virus. I would call you a "partial responder" since your viral load did come down.

Before going back on treatment, I would first want to know if you have severe disease.

1. If it is severe, you can consider going on maintenance therapy with low dose pegylated interferon by itself. The idea is to slow progression.

2. If your disease is not severe, I would wait until we have other potent therapies like the HCV protease and polymerase inhibitors, which are in development.

Previous
ELEVATED ALPHA FETAL PROTEIN TUMOR MARKER
Next
liver tumor and splenomegaly

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.