Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why shouldn't I start treatment?
Oct 31, 2006

Hello Doctor.

Let me start by thanking you greatly for the help you provide for the readers of this website.

My doctor says treatment should not be initiated for me because I am HBe Ag negative and my HBV DNA(PCR) is less than 10,000 copies/ml of blood.

But the continuous thought and worries I have that these virus are eating my liver slowly and I can't do anything is killing me and destroying my life.

I am sooooo angry and disappointed with my doctor. Why the treatment is not useful for me even though there are viruses flowing in my blood and eating up my liver continuously?

I want to know.........plz answer me..........plz.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your doctor is giving you reasonable advice based on what we know in 2006. That may change in 2007.

I would consider discussing a liver biopsy with your physician. If you don't have any liver disease, then you will be able to rest more easily. Also remember that he is telling you what is now being recommended by most authorities. However, it is possible that in the future, the recommendations may change. If he does not want to pursue a liver biopsy, that is reasonable, since the guidelines don't necessarily recommend this with this kind of HBV profile.

Previous
hepatitis c GENO TYPE 1A
Next
Could someone tell me what this means?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.