CD4 While On Peg/Rib

I still haven't quite grasped the deal here. After I started my Peg/Rib, my CD4 went <200 for the first time, and has been bouncing around between 100-200; but yet my % have been >30, where heretofore they had been around 19-22 when my CD4 was >200. What exactly does this mean, other than it's better than <200 and <14%? (Both VLs remain undetactable).

Before I start a patient on HCV treatment, I always tell them that we are not going to follow their CD4 count anymore. We are going to follow their CD4 percentage.

The reason for that is what you accurately describe. When we do flow cytometry (the test for CD4) the actual result we get back is a CD4 percentage. The result for CD4 counts per se is calculated by multiplying CD4 percentage times your total white blood cell count.

However, if your white blood cell count is dropping due to the expected side effects of interferon, then it stands to reason that your CD4 count is going to "artificially" look lower.

I hope this is helpful. Continue on your medication and best of luck.

Is it Hepatities?
Elevated Liver Function Test After Exposure